What Are the Different Types of PR?
There are different types of public relations (PR), but they all have the same goal: to improve the public image of a company or organization. The different types of PR can be divided into three categories: strategic communications, media relations, and community relations.
- Strategic communications are the umbrella term that encompasses all the other types of PR. This includes developing a communication plan, setting goals and objectives, and measuring the results of the PR effort.
- Media relations is the practice of securing media coverage for a company or organization. This can be done by pitching story ideas to journalists, arranging interviews, or sending out press releases.
- Community relations is the practice of building relationships with the community. This can be done by organizing events, volunteering, or working with local organizations.
- Internal communications are the practice of communicating with the employees of a company or organization. This can include holding meetings, sending out newsletters, or posting on the company intranet.
- Crisis communications are the practice of managing communication during a crisis. This can include issuing a press release, holding a press conference, or issuing a statement to the media.
- Public Affairs is the practice of communicating with government officials. This can include lobbying, testifying before Congress, or working with the media.
- Online and social media communications are the practice of using the internet and social media to communicate with the public. This can include creating a website, maintaining a blog, or posting on social media sites.